Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A really good movie you probably haven't seen.

As many of you know, I am somewhat of a movie buff, and it's true, though my taste can only be described as eclectic (my number one favorite movie is Ghostbusters) I do enjoy watching all generes of movies. As I was searching for something to watch one day I stumbled across a movie that had already started. Now having that little touch of OCD that I do, I couldn't start watching it partway through. So thanks to the miracle that is U-Verse, I merely looked up more showtimes and selected record. Finally the time had come to watch this movie, much to the disdainment of my girlfriend as the time I selected to begin the movie was about 11pm and that I was unaware at the time that this particular flick is just this side of three hours long. But I was ready to watch The Miracle at St. Anna.
This movie is a Spike Lee masterpeice that centers around a Group of African-American Soldiers during WWII. These particular soldiers were members of the famed Buffalo Soldiers of the 10th Cavalry, the predominantly Black (most of the officers were white) fighting unit prior to integration. These soldiers, thanks to a white officer, get stranded behind enemy lines in a Tuscan Villiage. They stumble across a little boy that one particular member befriends, and are all taken in by a family that has it's own problems. Now all of this takes place in a story being told, as the movie opens with a black postal worker going...well...postal and taking out a German Lugar and absolutely blowing away an individual that comes to his desk and asks for stamps. What follows is an incredible account of what black soldiers had to deal with during WWII and what the civilians had to do to stay alive in occupied countries.
It also brings home many lessons, such as the right thing to do is not always the right thing to do, and shows some brotherhood lessons such as we currently see in the armed forces and the fire service. No matter what your personal feelings are about someone, when the lead starts flying you put aside the personal feelings and take care of business.
All told this is one of the best movies I have seen in years and have already seen it twice, and all people I have seen it with have had the same reaction. You spend the whole movie trying to figure out who/why this guy was that was killed in cold blood in the first five minutes. There is also alot of historical facts and tie-ins that make this not only believable but a thrill to watch and I will definatley be watching it again. So much so in fact that I programmed U-Verse to save it so that only I can erase it. Thank you technology!

No comments:

Post a Comment